This Privacy Notice describes how the Department for Education and Advance HE will collect and use personal information about you when you use the Safe Campus Community website and training materials.
For the purpose of the data protection legislation applicable in the UK, the Department for Education is a ‘data controller’. This means that the Department for Education are responsible for determining the purposes for processing the personal information about you. This means they have a legal duty to inform the data subjects about those processing activities and inform them about their rights as a data subject.
Advance HE manage the website and training materials on behalf of the Department of Education, and are a ‘data processor’ of any personal data that is collected as part of carrying out that service. Advance HE are a company limited by guarantee incorporated in England and Wales under company number 4931031, and registered as a charity in England under charity number 1101607 and in Scotland under charity number SC043946. Advance HE’s registered office is at Innovation Way, York Science Park, York YO10 5BR.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Where you complete an e-learning course through your institution’s LMS rather than directly via this website, we will collect your name, email address and data generated about your score and completion of the module.
- If you contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we will receive and may keep a record of that correspondence, including your name and email address.
- Information that you choose to provide by filling in any feedback forms or surveys on the Safe Campus Communities website. This may include ‘personal information’ where you submit data that might identify you in a free text field.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to: traffic data, location data and weblogs. For more information, please see the Cookie Notice.
What we may use your data for
- To provide you with the information, guidance, resources and training courses that are available on the site
- To allow your institution to monitor the completion of training so that they can ensure they are meeting their obligations relating to the Prevent duty
- To ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To assess the feedback on and accessibility of our website and training materials.
Access to your data
In addition to the Department for Education, the following parties may have access to the personal data we collect from you:
- Advance HE, who manage the website and related training materials and services;
- Your employer, where you complete an e-learning course through your institution’s LMS rather than directly via this website;
- Elucidat (a sub-contractor of Advance HE), who provide the e-learning platform which Advance HE use to deliver training modules;
- Survey Monkey, if you choose to enter information that could identify you (‘personal data’) in your survey response;
- Webstars (another sub-contractor of Advance HE), who provide technical services relating to the website; and
- We may sometimes be obliged to disclose your personal information by law such as by a regulator with appropriate power, or court order. Information held by or for public bodies can be subject to requests under the Freedom of Information Act
For information on cookies, please see the separate Cookie Notice.
Storage and Protection of your personal data
By submitting your personal data and using this website, you agree to the transfer, storage and processing of such data. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated in strict accordance with this Privacy Notice and Data Protection Regulations. We are committed to holding your personal information securely and upholding high standards of data protection.
Any information you provide to us will be transmitted to and stored on Advance HE’s secure servers or the secure servers of Elucidat, who provide the e-learning platform.
How long we will retain your data for
We (and our sub-contractors) will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider:
- the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data;
- the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data; and
- the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, in the first instance please contact Advance HE’s Data Protection Team on Data.Protection@advance-he.ac.uk.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
What we may need from you: we may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. Please note that any additional personal information data subjects provide will be handled in line with our obligations under Data Protection Act 2018.
Data Protection Officer
Should you have any questions, queries or complaints you may contact:
- Advance HE’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted by emailing: email@example.com
- The Department for Education’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted by emailing: DataProtection.Office@education.gov.uk
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner (http://www.ico.gov.uk/) if you have any concerns in respect of the handling of your personal information.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may change from time to time. Please check back regularly to ensure you have the latest information.